What is Ethical and Sustainable Vegan Chocolate?
Ethical and sustainable vegan chocolate production is possible by using sustainable ingredients, responsible sourcing practices, and planet-friendly production methods.
The most important ingredient in vegan chocolate is cocoa, which is a crop that is grown in tropical regions. Obviously cocoa itself is, by it’s very nature, vegan. In terms of ethics it follows that sustainable cocoa production practices can help to protect the environment which is in all our interests, and the livelihoods of cocoa farmers. Some of these practices include:
• Regenerative agriculture: This type of agriculture helps to improve soil health and biodiversity, which can help to mitigate climate change.
• Fair trade: Fair trade certification ensures that cocoa farmers are paid a fair price for their crop, which can help to improve their standard of living. Fair trade chocolate means that farmers receive a fair price for their cocoa beans, which helps to ensure their economic security and well-being. Fair trade also prohibits child labour and forced labour.
• Child labour-free: Chocolate companies should ensure that their cocoa is not produced using child labour.
Responsible Sourcing Practices
In addition to using sustainable ingredients, it is also important for chocolate companies to practice responsible sourcing. This means ensuring that their cocoa is sourced from ethical and sustainable farms. Some of the things that chocolate companies can do to practice responsible sourcing include:
• Conducting due diligence on their suppliers: This involves investigating their suppliers' practices to ensure that they are meeting ethical and sustainable standards.
• Working with local communities: Chocolate companies can work with local communities to develop sustainable cocoa production practices.
• Supporting farmer training: Chocolate companies can help to train farmers in sustainable farming practices.
Planet-Friendly Production Methods
The production of chocolate can also have a negative impact on the environment. However, there are a number of planet-friendly production methods that can be used to reduce the environmental impact of chocolate production. Some of these methods include:
• Using renewable energy: Chocolate companies can use renewable energy sources, such as solar and wind power, to power their factories.
• Reducing water usage: Chocolate production can be a water-intensive process. Chocolate companies can reduce their water usage by using water-efficient equipment and irrigation practices.
• Reducing waste: Chocolate companies can reduce their waste by recycling and composting materials.
By using sustainable ingredients, responsible sourcing practices, and planet-friendly production methods, chocolate companies can produce vegan chocolate that is ethical and sustainable.
No-one is more committed to producing ethical and sustainable chocolate than KAKOA. Determined to bring their planet friendly chocolate to the masses whilst ‘putting back’ with a policy that sees every sale contribute to invaluable sea grass planting.
Kakoa is a vegan chocolate brand that is committed to making vegan chocolate the norm, not a niche. Our principles are:
We want our chocolate to taste amazing, regardless of whether it is vegan or not. We use high-quality ingredients and innovative recipes to create chocolate that is both delicious and satisfying.
We believe that all animals deserve to be treated with kindness and respect. Our chocolate is made using plant-based ingredients, so no animals are harmed in the making of our products.
We are committed to making our chocolate production as sustainable as possible. We use fair trade cocoa and sustainable packaging, and we are working to reduce our environmental impact.
Here are some specific examples of how Kakoa puts these principles into practice:
• We use rice and oat milk as an alternative to dairy, which is more sustainable than dairy milk.
• We use fair trade cocoa, which ensures that cocoa farmers are paid a fair price for their crop.
• We use biodegradable packaging, which reduces our environmental impact.
• We are working to reduce our water usage and energy consumption.
Kakoa is a great example of a vegan chocolate brand that is committed to making vegan chocolate that is delicious, cruelty-free, and sustainable. If you are looking for a delicious and ethical vegan chocolate, you need look no further than Kakoa.
Here are some of the Kakoa chocolate products that are available:
• Lush Vegan Milk Truffles
• Epic Turkish Delight Vegan Milk Chocolate
• Barista Cappuccino White Chocolate Vegan Truffles
We also have the largest vegan chocolate selection in the UK which you can purchase online or via select retailers. It’s a ‘no brainer’ for anyone with a love of chocolate and a caring nature.